What are the principles, tenants, and assumptions of this therapy?
For this assignment, you will first select a specific therapeutic technique (aka therapeutic approach, therapeutic intervention) discussed in this class and covered in Section III of the text. Carefully read all of the materials related to this technique available via the text and other class learning materials (e.g., lectures, supplemental articles or videos found within the pages of each module). Next, find at least two peer reviewed articles, published in the last five years, detailing research on the efficacy of this technique. Your written report will include a summary of what you have learned and a general critique of the technique.
The following are some examples of specific therapeutic techniques:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Humanistic Therapy
- Gestalt Therapy
- Interpersonal Processing Therapy
- Humanistic Approach (aka client centered or person-centered therapy)
In your report, make sure to address the following questions:
- What are the principles, tenants, and assumptions of this therapy?
- How does the technique work exactly? What methods are involved?
- What client/patient population is this approach designed for? What type of clinical presenting problem or mental health disorder is this approach designed for?
- What type of studies/research has been done on this approach? What has been found about the validity/efficacy of the approach?
- What diverse client populations, if any, have been left out of the research on this approach?
- If you were a practicing therapist, would you use this approach with your clients/patients? Why or why not?
- What questions remain for you about this approach?
- What research is still needed to better understand the efficacy of the approach?